Sunday, November 9, 2008

Why Is It Called An Idiot Box?

Back in the '50s tv earned the nickname of "the idiot box". It seems
that it was a prophecy. Nowadays moments that were dedicated to
exchanging ideas are filled with the constant drone of the tv and
ocassional grunts. While the device brings news and entertainment it
also hampers imagination. Everything is given in tv, scenery, sounds
even opinions. The need to discuss a subject is obsolete. Who can come
up with an original opinion when one is constantly impossed upon you?
Thus an idiot is born.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I so rarely watch TV because I just don't have the time and if I do, I prefer to read, paint and draw. TV does opens up so much but it is one of those things that to really benefit from, you almost need to be seriously selective.
However, my other half had the formula 1 on last week and I confess I was engrossed in something else, until the last lap when my laptop ended up on the floor and I was yelling at Lewis Hamilton, ROFL.
Perhaps thats how people end up watching reality TV and soaps, they get engrossed and then hooked!